7/8 Digital Life Skills Resources
Social media is having a big impact on our society. As with all things tech, that impact is felt in both positive and negative ways. There are many scary headlines out there decrying the impact of social media: Is Social Media the New Tobacco? Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? On the other hand, it has sparked global movements to make positive change in the world. Our unit on Social Media is all about exploring what it means to live healthy digital lives by:
- Establishing a common definition of what social media is
- Understanding pros and cons of social media use
- Understanding how our digital identities impact us in real life
- Understanding how gender stereotypes play into our social media interactions
- Gaining strategies for participating in social media responsibly
- Social Media Inventory: What is social media?
- Digital Identity: What version of yourself do you present at school, during sports, on social media & why does it matter?
- Which me should I be (Common Sense Media)
- Code switching (NPR)
- Gender Stereotypes: How are gender stereotypes affecting your experiences online?
- Digital Drama: It happens, how do you avoid it or deal with the aftermath?
- The Reality of Digital Drama (Common Sense Media)
- Social Media Guidelines: How do you strike a balance with social media, taking advantage of the good parts and avoiding the bad?